maelstrom n : a powerful circular current of water (usually the resulting of conflicting tides) [syn: whirlpool, vortex]
A maelstrom (or malström/malstrøm in the Scandinavian languages) is a very powerful whirlpool; a large, swirling body of water. A free vortex, it has considerable downdraft The word was introduced from the Nordic form by Edgar Allan Poe in his story "A Descent into the Maelstrom" (1841). In turn, the Nordic word was borrowed from the Dutch maalstroom which means grinding stream.
The original Maelstrom (described by Poe and others) is the Moskstraumen, a powerful tidal current in the Lofoten Islands off the Norwegian coast. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Corryvreckan.jpg
Maelstrom in popular culture
- Robert W. Smith wrote a musical composition called Maelstrom.
- Walt Disney Pictures' 2007 film Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, features a scene in which the Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman engage in battle in the middle of an enormous maelstrom formed after the release of Calypso, goddess of the sea.
- In the novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Captain Nemo's Nautilus makes its last appearance going down into the Lofoten Maelstrom.
- Various special attacks are named "Maelstrom" in the Final Fantasy series of video games, specifically Edea from Final Fantasy VIII and Ashe from Final Fantasy XII
- In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Khan Noonien Singh pledges to chase James T. Kirk "'round the Antares Maelstrom" rather than give him up.
- In the MMORPG Guild Wars, water elementalists can acquire a skill called "Maelstrom" which both interrupts and damages the foe.
- In the RTS, Warcraft III, between Lordaeron and Kalimdor in Azeroth, there is a gigantic maelstrom in the middle of the Great Sea, where the Well of Eternity of the Night Elves previously was.
- In the book Eldest, there is a Maelstrom by the name of "The Boar's Eye", which was unique in that it was caused by tidal currents, and spun in one direction during the waxing tide, and the other direction during the waning tide.
- In the 1998 computer game Starcraft the Protoss Unit Dark Archon has an ability called Maelstrom. It stuns organic units in an area for several seconds.
- Maelstrom is also a weapon that has an electric aura available in the RTS Warcraft Dota mod.
- In the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the Maelstrom is an area of space used as a base for raids by the Red Corsairs.
- In the MMORPG Materia Magica the Maelstrom allows one to travel from the upper world to the underground world.
- In the MMORPG "Eve Online" there is a spaceship known as the maelstrom.
- In the AMIGA game "Myth", there is a level called "Maelstrom: Gateway to the North" which takes place in a Viking ship.
- In the TV Series Lost, the character's name Miles Straume is a play on the word Maelstrom.
- The latent power of "The Great Oar" in the video game "Musashi: Samurai Legend".
- The Atma mark of Jenna Angel in the Role-playing game Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 is called "Maelstrom".
- Profound Decisions' first festival LRP campaign is called Maelstrom
- Maelstrom was a popular decktype in the card game Star Wars Customizable Card Game by Decipher, before many of the cards were given errata.
- Maelstrom is the name of an album by Norwegian hardcore punk/screamo band JR Ewing.
- In the fantasy series The Edge Chronicles there is a massive maelstrom at the ends of both Midnight Over Sanctaphrax and Vox although this maelstrom is more like a twister rather than an oceanic whirlpool
- Maelstrom is also the name of the gigantic pirate ship owned by the villain Captain Bloth, in the 90's cartoon Pirates of Dark Water.
- Maelstrom: the Battle for Earth Begins is the name of a 2006 post-apocalyptic sci-fi computer game.
- "'Maelstrom"' is also the name of the University of Miami's Frost School of Music's premier Male Chorus, originally started by Dr. Jo-Michael Scheibe.
- Maelstrom is also the name of a Marvel Comics supervillain.
- Battlestar_Galactica (TV episode)
- Maelstrom is the translation from Naruto, as in Naruto Uzumaki, the protagonist of the Japanese Manga show by the same name.
- Maelstrom is a Multi-Player Map from the Video Game "Shadowrun"
maelstrom in Spanish: Maelstrom
maelstrom in Finnish: Maelstrom
maelstrom in French: Maelstrom
maelstrom in Italian: Maelstrom
maelstrom in Norwegian: Moskenstraumen
maelstrom in Polish: Maelstrom
maelstrom in Swedish: Maelstrom
Charybdis, Maelstrom, ado, agitation, back stream, backflow, backwash, backwater, bluster, bobbery, boil, boiling, bother, botheration, brouhaha, burst, bustle, churn, commotion, confusion, conturbation, countercurrent, counterflow, counterflux, discomposure, disorder, disquiet, disquietude, disturbance, dizzy round, ebullition, eddy, embroilment, excitement, feery-fary, ferment, fermentation, fever, feverishness, fidgetiness, fidgets, fit, flap, flurry, fluster, flutter, flutteration, flutteriness, foment, fume, fury, fuss, fussiness, gulf, gurge, gyre, hubbub, hullabaloo, hurly-burly, inquietude, jitters, jumpiness, malaise, moil, nerviness, nervosity, nervousness, perturbation, pirouette, pother, rat race, reel, refluence, reflux, regurgitation, restlessness, roil, round, rout, row, scramble, seethe, seething, spasm, spin, spurt, stew, stir, storm, surge, sweat, swirl, to-do, trepidation, trepidity, tumult, tumultuation, turbidity, turbulence, turmoil, turn, twirl, twitter, unease, unquiet, unrest, upset, vortex, wheel, whirl, whirlpool, whirlwind